We welcome visitors to hear several AK models in our superb dedicated sound room ¼ mile W of the base of the Rocky Mountains (Wasatch Range), 75 minute drive NE of the Salt Lake City Airport. We can advise regarding affordable (possibly free) over night lodging. Cache Valley Utah is a great place to visit. For skiers Beaver Mtn. and Cherry Peak are 30 minute drive while Powder Mountain is about 45 minutes SW.
Sound Room and Demo Electronics
Dead quiet symmetrical basement sound room w/concrete floor and front wall, HWD 7.6 x 16.5 x 25.5 feet, in 2007-built home in a quiet gated community. AK speakers do not need acoustic treatments. We have light treatments only in the corners to prevent energy build-up. Upon request we shall remove the treatment. The room is exceptionally solid, and supports live music SPL, which we can play at any hour (minimal leakage through one light well).
Combined HT and Stereo 2-Channel System
For home theater fans, the room is dual use with front projector, retractable 92” perforated screen (ceiling cabinet in image), four in-wall surrounds (side and rear,) and full light control. The HT employs the preamp bypass input, stereo 2-channel power amp, speakers, and cables listed below. LORA's phantom center outperforms any known center channel-equipped system.
-Stereo 2-Channel System
- Mains: dedicated 20A mains circuit, James Romeyn Pure Grid Power 8-outlet alloy extender box.
- Vinyl: original motor, controls, bearing and platter from early 1960's US made Empire 208 on custom Bill Berndt plinth comprising 1.5 inch thick 6061 alloy, platter underside lined w/Dynamat, 1.5 inch Dynamat-lined MDF base, solid maple cabinet, 73#. Original Audio Technica AT1100 ultra-low mass tonearm. Original high compliance Panasonic Straingauge solid-state active cartridge. Modified Panasonic Straingauge demodulator feeds DC to the cartridge.
- Server/Renderer: we became friends with a generous client, a professional network and IT security systems engineer, who designed and built our so-called "Big Daddy" (BD) computer running HQ Player's most complex filters, modulators and over sampling (both DSD and PCM.) BD is more powerful than Extreme's $30k server/streamer and Chord's renown $6k M-Scaler. (The DAC runs in NOS/non-oversampling mode.) A smaller NUC in the sound room functions solely as renderer running HQ Player kernel, solely providing USB output > Intona isolator USB > DAC 200. A 200W HD Plex LPS powers the renderer NUC. A larger NUC is the Roon Core for library function only meaning no Roon DSP. HQ Player author Miska co-designed DAC 200's DSD section. We join a large # of fans describing HQ Player as a state-of-the-art music player. HQ Player setup correctly driving T+A DAC 200 is difficult or impossible to beat at any cost.
- DAC: T+A DAC 200, proprietary true non-oversampling DSD which HQ Player author Miska co-designed. We use fixed balanced output. HQ Player setup correctly > DAC 200 is difficult or impossible to beat at any cost. $7150 SRP, Germany
- Pure Analog Line Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP SE Stage 2, $3700 SRP, USA.
- Power Amp: Schiit Audio Aegir sliding bias class-A $800 SRP, USA
- Best Main Speaker: Illusio Audio "Alana" satellite, natural cutoff @ 70 Hz, proprietary AudoKinesis 10.5" neodymium pro-sound mid-bass (pulp cone, treated accordion surround,) state of the art Radian 1" throat beryllium compression driver loaded in AK proprietary 10.5" oblate spheroidal wood horn (CD exit angle matches the horn's entry angle,) true 90 dB @ 1W (9-ohm nominal, 6.5-ohm minimum, benign phase angles,) xo comprises V-caps and 14-gauge coil, internally wired with Infigo Audio cables, Cardas solid copper binding posts, designer Duke LeJeune's all-time best domestic speaker, cabinet design by Hans Looman of Infigo Audio, demo colors 2022 Porsche GT3 gold metallic, US-made, $20k/pr SRP
- Proprietary LORAstand, stand version of Late-Onset Reflection Assist reverberant field accessory speaker, wide-range horn-loaded large-format compression driver, separate xo and input, passive level control, selectable 2-pole high-pass crossover, high input impedance (ca 24 ohm), virtually any main amp drives LORA parallel w/main speakers, cabinet design by Hans Looman of Infigo Audio, demo color 2022 Suzuki Hayabusa glass sparkle black, $10k/pr SRP
- Distributed Subwoofer Array for Satellite Speakers, two each DEBRA and AK Tall Subs. Two Dayton Audio SA1000 kilowatt sub amps w/staggered phase and xo poles in front/rear variation of Dr. David Griesinger's “Phase Quadrature" Tuning: sub amp #1 > 2 subs closer to main speakers, sub amp #2 > 2 subs closer to rear wall.
- Cables: Renderer USB output > Infigo Audio cryo USB IC > DAC > Infigo Audio Signature XLR > preamp > Infigo Audio Signature RCA > power amp > Infigo Audio cryo mono-crystal speaker cable > main speaker. Clarity Cable's best Vortex power cables.
- Acoustic Treatments: Illusio Audio and AK speakers do not need treatments. To squeeze the last percentile of performance we employ light treatments only to prevent energy build-up in corners behind the speakers and to diffuse the ceiling first reflection point. Upon request we shall remove treatments for demo. Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass and loose fiberglass insulation in environmentally safe knit cloth. The room is moderately lively/not overdamped: high frequency dispersion film on all treatments maximizes detail, density, liveliness, spectral balance and spatial qualities. END.
Refunds, Returns, Restocking Fee
All items must be returned in the same condition as received. Buyer pays all vendor out of pocket fees including but not limited to round trip shipping, receipt fees including but not limited to Paypal or credit cards, etc. 17.5% restocking fee. All sales final, no refunds and no returns for used/demo merchandise and merchandise with extra-cost finish options. Any exception to any policy listed here must be in writing.
ETA is June 2023 for posted videos w/stereo binaural sound-track including special demos turning LORA on/off ("MUTE" appears on the LED of a separate amp powering LORA only for the specific LORA demos only.) Binaural playback requires headphones or in-ear buds; speakers are not optional! Listeners employing headphones or in-ear buds perceive a reasonable representation of being in our studio. We also allow home demo w/return privilege.