We welcome visitors to hear several AK models in our superb dedicated sound room ¼ mile W of the base of the Rocky Mountains (Wasatch Range), 75 minute drive NE of the Salt Lake City Airport. We can advise regarding affordable (possibly free) over night lodging. Cache Valley Utah is a great place to visit. For skiers, Cherry Peak Resort is 30 minutes NE of us, and Powder Mountain Resort is about 45 minutes SW.
Sound Room and Demo Electronics
Dead quiet symmetrical basement sound room w/concrete floor and front wall, HWD 7.6 x 16.5 x 25.5 feet, in 2007-built home in a quiet gated community. AK speakers do not need acoustic treatments. We have light treatments because we can, and upon request we shall remove them. The room is exceptionally solid, and supports live music SPL, which we can play at any hour (minimal leakage through one light well).
Combined HT and Stereo 2-Channel System
For home theater fans, the room is dual use with front projector, retractable 92” perforated screen (ceiling cabinet in image), four rear and side in-wall surrounds, and full light control. The HT employs the stereo 2-channel power amp, speakers, and cables listed below. The Space Generator's phantom center outperforms any known center channel-equipped system.
Stereo 2-Channel System, Edited 7/4/2020
- Mains: dedicated 20A mains circuit, James Romeyn Pure Grid Power 8 outlet alloy extender box.
- Server/Streamer/Renderer: one of our most generous clients is a professional software/hardware engineer, who specified and loaded all software for our custom digital front end as follows: HQ Player w/Audiolinux and Roon library runs on NUC server/streamer and discrete renderer computer. HD Plex 200W LPS > renderer.
- DAC: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 running fixed analog unbalanced output. HD Plex 200W LPS > outboard regulator > DAC.
- Analog Line Preamp: custom, single 5847 dual triode radio frequency tube per channel, Magnequest “DS 050/600” output transformers (5K primary/600R secondary), tube rectified outboard power supply, unbalanced
- Power Amp: custom, Nelson Pass SS stereo design, class AB, 80/140W @ 8/4 ohm. We recently purchased from Finland a Peter Qvortrup (Audio Note) designed dual EL34 25Wpc transformer-coupled class A tube amp; PS needs modification to swap from 230V to 115V supply.
- Subwoofer Array: for AK satellite speaker models only, not used w/full range speakers: two Dayton Audio SA1000 kilowatt sub amps in David Griesinger's “Phase Quadrature" Tuning. Each satellite speaker sits atop an AK “SuperStand” comprising sealed sub w/Space Generator. Each side wall has one larger dual-ported AK "Outboard Sub” for true cutoff below 20 Hz.
- Cables: All ultra-high end Clarity Cable from renderer USB output to speaker inputs, including power cables. Clarity Cables are a revelation, especially for those who deny the benefits of cables at this price point. As critical to performance as any component.
- Light Acoustic Treatments: AK works well w/o treatment; we have treatments because we can, and it helps squeeze out the last percentile of performance. Upon request we shall remove all treatments during demo. Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass with knit cloth cover. All surfaces facing listeners have HF dispersion film to maximize liveliness, spectral balance, and spatial performance.
For persons unable to visit us in N. Utah and/or who miss our audio show demos, please inquire about home demos w/return privilege.