We welcome visitors to hear several AK models in our superb dedicated sound room ¼ mile W of the base of the Rocky Mountains (Wasatch Range), 75 minute drive NE of the Salt Lake City Airport. We can advise regarding affordable (possibly free) over night lodging. Cache Valley Utah is a great place to visit. For skiers Beaver Mtn. and Cherry Peak are 30 minute drive while Powder Mountain is about 45 minutes SW.
Sound Room and Demo Electronics
Dead quiet symmetrical basement sound room w/concrete floor and front wall, HWD 7.6 x 16.5 x 25.5 feet, in 2007-built home in a quiet gated community. AK speakers do not need acoustic treatments. We have light treatments because we can, and upon request we shall remove them. The room is exceptionally solid, and supports live music SPL, which we can play at any hour (minimal leakage through one light well).
Combined HT and Stereo 2-Channel System
For home theater fans, the room is dual use with front projector, retractable 92” perforated screen (ceiling cabinet in image), four rear and side in-wall surrounds, and full light control. The HT employs the stereo 2-channel power amp, speakers, and cables listed below. The Space Generator's phantom center outperforms any known center channel-equipped system.
Stereo 2-Channel System
- Mains: dedicated 20A mains circuit, James Romeyn Pure Grid Power 8 outlet alloy extender box.
- Vinyl: original original motor, controls, bearing and platter from early 1960's US made Empire 208 on custom Bill Berndt plinth comprising 1.5 inch thick 6061 alloy, platter underside lined w/Dynamat, 1.5 inch Dynamat-lined MDF base, maple cabinet, 73#. Original Audio Technica AT1100 ultra-low mass tonearm. Original high compliance Panasonic Straingauge solid-state active cartridge. Modified Panasonic Straingauge demodulator feeds DC to the cartridge.
- Server/Streamer/Renderer: one of our most generous clients, a professional software/hardware engineer specified hardware and loaded HQ Player w/Audiolinux and Roon library. Two custom-specified NUCs: a larger server/streamer and separate smaller renderer. HD Plex 200W LPS > renderer computer.
- DAC: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 designed by John Westlake, fixed analog unbalanced output, performs digital to analog conversion only, all processing/algorithms/modulators in HQ Player. HD Plex 200W LPS > custom outboard regulator > DAC.
- Pure Analog Line Preamp: custom, unbalanced, single 5847 dual triode radio frequency tube, Magnequest “DS 050/600” output transformers (5K primary/600R secondary), tube rectified outboard power supply.
- Power Amp: custom, Nelson Pass SS stereo dual mono, class AB, 80/140W @ 8/4 ohm. Est. April '21 our Peter Qvortrup designed dual EL34 25W class A valve power amp replaces the Pass-designed SS power amp. Qvortrup is CEO of Audio Note in GB, maker of some of the world's most renown premium tube components.
- Subwoofer Array for AK satellite speakers only, not used w/full range speakers: two Dayton Audio SA1000 kilowatt sub amps in David Griesinger's “Phase Quadrature" Tuning. Each satellite speaker sits atop an AK “SuperStand” comprising ported 20 Hz subwoofer w/built-in Space Generator ambiance recovery speaker. Each side wall has one dual-ported AK "Tall Subwoofer.”
- Cables: All ultra-high end Clarity Cable from renderer USB output to speaker inputs, including power cables.
- Acoustic Treatments: AK works well w/o treatment; we have light and affordable treatments because we can, they are harmless, easy to fasten/remove, and to squeeze the last percentile of performance. Upon request we remove all treatments during demo. Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass and in-wall fiberglass in environmentally safe knit cloth. High frequency dispersion maximizes liveliness, spectral balance and spatial qualities.
ETA is April 2021 for posted videos w/stereo binaural sound track including special demos turning the Space Generator on/off ("MUTE" appears on the LED of a separate amp powering the SG only for the specific SG demos only.) Binaural playback requires headphones or in-ear buds; speakers are not optional! Listeners employing headphones or in-ear buds perceive a highly accurate representation of being in our studio. We also allow home demo w/return privilege.