We welcome visitors to hear several AK models in our superb dedicated sound room ¼ mile W of the base of the Rocky Mountains (Wasatch Range), 75 minute drive NE of the Salt Lake City Airport. We can advise regarding affordable (possibly free) over night lodging. Cache Valley Utah is a great place to visit. For skiers Beaver Mtn. and Cherry Peak are 30 minute drive while Powder Mountain is about 45 minutes SW.
Sound Room and Demo Electronics
Dead quiet symmetrical basement sound room w/concrete floor and front wall, HWD 7.6 x 16.5 x 25.5 feet, in 2007-built home in a quiet gated community. AK speakers do not need acoustic treatments. We have light treatments because we can, and upon request we shall remove them. The room is exceptionally solid, and supports live music SPL, which we can play at any hour (minimal leakage through one light well).
Combined HT and Stereo 2-Channel System
For home theater fans, the room is dual use with front projector, retractable 92” perforated screen (ceiling cabinet in image), four rear and side in-wall surrounds, and full light control. The HT employs the stereo 2-channel power amp, speakers, and cables listed below. The Space Generator's phantom center outperforms any known center channel-equipped system.
Stereo 2-Channel System
- Mains: dedicated 20A mains circuit, James Romeyn Pure Grid Power 8 outlet alloy extender box.
- Vinyl: original original motor, controls, bearing and platter from early 1960's US made Empire 208 on custom Bill Berndt plinth comprising 1.5 inch thick 6061 alloy, platter underside lined w/Dynamat, 1.5 inch Dynamat-lined MDF base, maple cabinet, 73#. Original Audio Technica AT1100 ultra-low mass tonearm. Original high compliance Panasonic Straingauge solid-state active cartridge. Modified Panasonic Straingauge demodulator feeds DC to the cartridge.
- Server/Streamer/Renderer: one of our most generous clients, a professional software/hardware engineer specified hardware and loaded HQ Player w/Audiolinux and Roon library. We affectionately call our main server/streamer computer "Bid Daddy" or "BD" for short. BD specifications exceed Extreme's $30k server/streamer and Chord's renown $6k M-Scaler. All processing/algorithms/modulators specified in HQ Player only eliminating all such functions from the DAC left to perform only the most basic D to A functions. Two custom-specified NUCs: a smaller renderer in the sound room performs USB output function only; a larger NUC performs Roon library function only (no Roon filter functions.) HD Plex 200W LPS > renderer computer only.
- DAC: Holo Audio May KTE3 DAC, both DSD and PCM formats (we generally prefer the latter,) PCM format used solely in true "NOS" (non-oversampling) mode, fixed analog output, performs digital to analog conversion only, no filter functions.
- Pure Analog Line Preamp: custom, unbalanced, single 5847 dual triode radio frequency tube, Magnequest “DS 050/600” output transformers (5K primary/600R secondary), tube rectified outboard power supply.
- Atma-Sphere patented Class D, 100/200W @ 8/4 ohm, 2 ohm capable, GAN/gallium nitride output devices al Technics' renown $18k power amp, 100k ohm input, $5200/pr, above the bass range a doppelganger for Atma-Sphere's legendary M-60 OTL tube mono blocks, without the heat and tube replacement and for 41% less cost. Available now for resale.
- Space Generator Ambiance Recovery Speaker: "SG10" discrete 10" coincident driver in separate cabinet with separate input, passive level control, high-pass crossover, high input impedance (ca 24 ohm), main amp drives main speakers parallel with SG10.
- Subwoofer Array For Satellite Speakers Only (Not Used w/Full Range Speakers:) two Dayton Audio SA1000 kilowatt sub amps in David Griesinger's “Phase Quadrature" Tuning (two L subs @ 45 degrees phase, two R subs @ 135 degrees phase.) Two AK Tall Subs w/optional pedestal base also function as satellite speaker stands; each side wall has one Tall Subwoofer (two side wall subs share the same horizontal plane.)
- Cables: All cables from the DAC analog output to power cables are ultra-high end Clarity Cable hand-made in Kansas by Melissa Owen. Contact us for our wide array of demo cables, demo without restocking fee.
- Acoustic Treatments: AK works well w/o treatment; we have light and affordable treatments because we can, they are harmless, easy to fasten/remove, and to squeeze the last percentile of performance. Upon request we remove all treatments during demo. Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass and in-wall fiberglass in environmentally safe knit cloth. High frequency dispersion maximizes liveliness, spectral balance and spatial qualities.
Except where noted otherwise, all items must be returned in the same condition as received. Buyer pays all vendor out of pocket fees including round trip shipping. 10% restocking fee.
ETA is April 2021 for posted videos w/stereo binaural sound track including special demos turning the Space Generator on/off ("MUTE" appears on the LED of a separate amp powering the SG only for the specific SG demos only.) Binaural playback requires headphones or in-ear buds; speakers are not optional! Listeners employing headphones or in-ear buds perceive a highly accurate representation of being in our studio. We also allow home demo w/return privilege.